How I drove the robot almost turned gray and filled with blood

Модератор: zlata

How I drove the robot almost turned gray and filled with blood

Сообщение DARPA » 26 июн 2014, 12:41

This is the story of one of the most memorable occasions in my engineering practice. For obvious reasons, I have changed names, places, and some recognizable details, it was impossible to accurately determine the customer's history and other participants.

Part 1. Box

Remember, were the last days of November. Already thinking about the end of the day, I was planning your evening, when suddenly I was informed that in the Siberian city of glorious N our customer broke the tape library. Part immediately sent to the shipping company, but after 3 days, as she was still on the way. Transport company vaguely explained and chuckles into the phone, and the customer is not a joke became nervous. Forecasts were uncertain, so it was decided to carry another spare forces on the airplane. Warehouse worker handed me a box of the dimensional weight pounds ten, pasted over bar codes and stickers, and happily clapped me on the shoulder and said, "Just do not try to take the luggage - pomnut."

Box I definitely worried, but not less concern me inspired bag with powdered milk, which at the last moment I handed the project manager. "They've got some troubles with jelly now ... because of the weather or something ... local guys asked them to bring 2 kg. You're not hard? "- He said. Expression on his face and hands with a characteristic gesture, as if concealing my mouth, it was clear he now wanted to, I was amenable or even dumb.

important deviation

This story happened a few years ago, in my time as an engineer when I flew a lot in my country, and waking up in another hotel, sometimes could not figure out what I am now in the city. 4-5 trips per month leaves its mark on the lifestyle. And the epitome of this lifestyle was always ready for my next travel backpack.

Part 2. Librarian

I got out of the taxi, and suddenly at the terminal building, I was stopped by police. "Your documents" - he spat, and a sense of profound satisfaction somehow spilled over his face. Chilly wind blew evil, preventing me to deal with pockets and bags. I like smog, learned their instruments and handed servant of the rule of law. The idea is that a young man who travels with just a laptop, a large box and bag of white powder, should not cause any suspicion, so I painted on his face sincere bewilderment. "What have you got in the box?" - He said indifferently. Apparently the fact that the package was nothing like milk powder, he had his professional flair identified, and so the package is no longer interested in him. But while the box did not give his insight. "It's a robot," - I said.

At this point, I have the feeling that his indifferent face replaced, because it lit up from inside a genuine interest, as if in the depths of his cap with a cockade additional module connected with the function of human curiosity. I knew that fails to answer and had to somehow fix the situation soon. "It's a robot ... for the library" - I added even less confident, still watching the other modules connected malice, malice and greed. "Speak, robot ... Robot library librarian or what?"

Part 3. Inspection

I moved to the landing zone, remembering how just finished with a badge. "It turned out alright - I thought - but could be too late and the plane."

"Baggage tape, jackets, belts and shoes shoot, telephones spread ..." - imperiously commanded and heartless woman in uniform. Hoisted his belongings on the tape, I do not squeak sound and passed through a metal detector. It has been seen that the box with the robot is haunted airport security employee who chased it back and forth through the X-ray. "What's that?" - She said at last, when all comparative images in her mind exhausted. I kneaded in the hands of the package with milk, considering their tactics to now not to repeat the episode with a cockade. But suddenly her colleague sitting with her in the neighborhood, briefly looked at the monitor and said, "Yes, it's a robot library L200. This week for the third time driven, breakdowns season they went. Come on, young man. "My amazement there was no limit, but at the same time I was terribly grateful to Providence favors me, as well as technical competence citizens working
DARPA

Вернуться в HIGHLIGHTS STORIES