Why is it difficult to study abroad

Модератор: zlata

Why is it difficult to study abroad

Сообщение DARPA » 02 мар 2015, 01:25

I was recently asked why study in Germany is difficult, and I decided to write on this subject a little more detail. After all, are not familiar, I went and painted eyebrows, but without it, too, did not survive.
Say at once that "difficult" - does not mean "good" or "bad." You know, one difficulty - adrenaline challenge for another - an inevitable, albeit unpleasant part of life. Matter of personal philosophy and attitude.

And by the way, fully admit the idea that someone is not difficult to learn, but quite the contrary - it is easy. But this man is worth considering if you do not turn to Hamburg to become difficult as all the normal students);

So, when I arrived and started to attend lectures, I was not just difficult, but very difficult. The reasons for it many.

1) I took a long break in their studies and have forgotten what it is and as arranged. The restoration of skills took time.

2) The language barrier in my case wore twofold. The curriculum at me in English, the surrounding reality - in German. And it's worth noting that learning English is not the same thing as watching the TV series "Friends" in the original. In my case, since the focus is not quite technical, it is necessary to read many, many scientific papers. But they use the words in the dictionary 26 is usually in the list of values. Remember to study in Russia - some suggestions sometimes have to read twice to understand that the author had in mind (especially if you offer a half-page).

3) Adapting to a new place takes a lot of effort. Whatever you say, even if you are healthy and growing organism, full of optimism and you have plenty of money to spare, adaptation always takes time.
If you call in a hostel, all that you will meet - the bare walls and a bed without bedding. And before you start actively learn, willy-nilly, to get a pillow, towels and a frying pan. You can bring your own, but it's really for those who are traveling in the trailer.

4) Training process is constructed differently. In the master's lectures occupy 30% of the time, and the rest - group work, self-study and writing research papers. In this case, the goal bolt on attendance, as they do in Russia, will not work - teachers on this responsive, and highly indignant if a student enrolled in a course somewhere hanging around during class. By the way, attend or not to attend lectures for me not even a question. What's the point to go if you plan to take all remotely?

Another feature is that in Germany no one chews the course material and all should look for themselves. In the best case - you may be given a list of authors, who should read (try listening to understand the writing of the names - good quest). Where you will look for them and how nobody cares. What language - too. Of course, the library is a very good set of books and have access to scientific databases, but even in this format are still some questions. For example, what of the 500 articles found to build on, and how to apply it (applied to the sore spot is useless - I tried).

5) The evaluation criteria are not always clear. Of course, you tell in detail and what it develops, but as a teacher will evaluate the work and what exactly he expects from you (or should have) - learn only after receipt of the evaluation itself. For example, you may feel that you have done an excellent presentation, and then suddenly pops up that link you with a list of authors nakosyachili, since the rules of registration of works are different from Russian standards. Or you put a low score for activity in the classroom, but by their own standards, you were active-reactive as ever. There are many subtleties.

All this does not mean that study abroad should only inveterate botanists, but you need to approach the matter seriously and soberly assess the situation. And be sure to keep in mind the fact that the study will have to deal with much of his time, not only in moments of inspiration and sudden brain activity).
DARPA

Вернуться в HIGHLIGHTS STORIES