Russia and India: the difference of cultures

Модератор: zlata

Russia and India: the difference of cultures

Сообщение DARPA » 11 фев 2015, 20:13

I periodically asked whether the effect on our relationship with her husband difference of cultures in which we grew up. What I always say that in general there is no effect, because we're both people are quite 'cultureless', do not follow any traditions and beyond religions. However, the first few months of living together, we did encounter some sometimes funny, sometimes sad situation that I now tell you.

1) About languages:
The past Catholic Christmas Buji came home from work, spent some time with me, and we decided to later go to a restaurant to celebrate Christmas there. However, at some point, he again turned to leave and tells me literally the following: 'OK, chérie, I'll go and come back'. (Sherry - a 'favorite' in French, my pet name) I understand this phrase literally so: 'Come, my beloved, I now depart and come back. "I think, well, well, I just give myself up, he'll be back, and let's go eat. And now I'm ready, dressed and made up, and even a little hungry, and loved all is not .. That's already an hour has passed, and two, and I am, as they say, do not just want to eat, and eat, and already would not mind, but he is not. In general, at the end of the third hour back my dear, and his guilt in either eye. You can imagine what Christmas Happy New Year and all other holidays he received as a welcome, what is reasonable defended 'I said that I would leave and come back, what was my mistake ??'.
A similar story was repeated with us a few times and nothing worked, until someone explained to me that everything is ridiculously simple: Tamil "goodbye", sounding like "Poituvaran" literally translates as "I will go and come back» (I 'll go and come back). Since then, our farewell goes something like this:
He said: - Okay dear, I'll go and come back
I - well, well, poituvaran

2) About the food:
I cooked somehow potatoes with vegetables. With broccoli, something else, garlic sprinkled .. try - delicious, made another salad of fresh vegetables, sitting contentedly waiting for her husband. Comes husband admires potatoes and asks - and what we have we? I do not understand - as it is with what? That's the same potatoes and vegetables, and even salad! He says yes - I see the sauce, salad see, and where rice?
It was found that for potatoes in India is not considered a separate dish and perceived solely as an ingredient vegetable sauce, which is fed to the rice. So, now I have to cook potatoes and rice still, she did not eat, but in silence and watched in disbelief as her husband interferes with potatoes and rice with appetite eats it all.
By the way, this applies not only potatoes - my friend and somehow ordered fried rice with vegetables, and they brought us fried mixture of rice with vegetables and noodles (!!). Unusual, but tasty, I must say.
Now I know that India is considered to be the main meal or rice or bread (all kinds of cakes). Everything else - addition. At our house as a garnish sometimes even acts paste, and occasionally - a small-potatoes, which Buji fell in love with the first fork, and to which he does not even need to figure :)

3) About the holidays:
one disappointment befell me personally in connection with the celebration of the new year. You know how I always thought it was not such an important holiday, and do not have to celebrate it with such fanfare, as is customary in our country, but in India, I realized how much a celebration of the new year is embedded in my subconscious. In Russia, we pretend that we do not care, but waiting .. asking each other who notes, buy a Christmas tree, champagne, fireworks, gifts, tangerines, plan movements and parties. 31rd we wake up with a feeling of special day with anticipation of the holiday. Women with early morning start to prepare men to re-buy everything you need .. Then visit, sound clink glasses, the president's speech, chimes, and then on the street - walk and run fireworks. Although, to whom I tell it all, and you're all well know, it's me again nostalgia tortured ..) this is what I am - in India, more precisely, in Tamil Nadu, where we live, on December 31 - it is like a minor public holiday. European and Europeanized part of the population on a large scale celebrates Christmas, and all the rest go to the complete detachment from 15 January during Pongal - a five-day festival dedicated to the Tamil new year.
Last year, December 31st Buji came home from work at 10 o'clock in the evening and found me, wipe tears, and abide in anguish under the present New Year (I was pregnant, and this too has contributed to my emotional). Then he dragged me to celebrate ng in a good Italian restaurant on the rooftop, and will continue to seek a compromise, knowing how important it turned out for me this holiday)
DARPA

Вернуться в HIGHLIGHTS STORIES